Thursday, February 18, 2010

GREAT HAIR

The first thing you need for great hair is a terrific diet: lean source of protein, fibrous and complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. I believe that exercise helps a lot too because of increased blood flow and better circulation in general.

The second thing you need is a great hairdresser?

How do you get one? You look around at family, friends and acquaintenances and ask the ones who always have great hair who their hairdresser is. Or walk up to a complete stranger and ask the same question. That is what I do and I have never made a mistake.

If you have a hairdresser that is good but she is stuck in the same style and is not interested in giving you a fresher and more recent look - it may be time to change.

I have had my current hairdresser for 7 years and she is the best. She is honest with me if I want something that she feels will not suit me or my hair type or which will destroy my hair. She talked me out of extensions and told me we could get my own hair long and looking good with a bit of patience. She warned me that extensions did not last long and that removing them can damage the hair and it was difficult to find someone who does it really well.

My hair is naturally very fine and limp. Until I met her I have never had a perm that I did not have to cut off immediately as it either frizzed my hair and/or did not take in spots.

The first thing she had me do was to be patient and prep my hair. I was already following a great nutrition plan and my skin hair and nails were doing well.

I had frequent trims at least every 6 weeks to get the ends in great shape. I also had it cut into long layers.

She recommended some Grund products - restructuring shampoo, conditioner and strengthener which I used faithfully for 4 months before the planned perm.

I went a bit darker with my streaking which protected my hair from overprocessing with bleach.

The perm has lasted and lasted through trims and streaking. I can wear it curly - very easy care or no care. Or I can use a flat iron and wear it straight. I can use rollers and have a bouncier more full semi-curly/straight look.

Incredibly with her help I have been able to grow it long in a healthy manner even with the perm and colour.

I always know when I have let it go too long between appointments - people comment 'you look tired." I get my hair done and get the opposite response!

Interesting that something as simple as a trim can make a person look refreshed.

p.s never have roots showing - nothing looks worse. Consider streaking with some of your own colour in the mix to go longer between colours without it looking ugly between.

No comments:

Post a Comment